Pages

Welcome

I hope this blog will be a direct insight to my travels. Learning curves, hopefully, not mountains. People, emotions and cultures. The really important elements of life.

Monday 15 November 2010

Monday 15th Nov Still in Kavala

Hello Well we have decided to move on tomorrow. We have thoroughly enjoyed the time here, have met some lovely people and enjoyed the gorgeous food. Fish, fish and more fish so I have been in my element.
I have strolled the 'front' so many times with the touts now smiling and saying 'hello' Today I took my wrap around skirt off as I came out from lunch and joked with the wrap/scarf seller offering it for sale to him. We were joined at lunch by a chap who arrived yesterday from Taunton and our afternoon trek up to the lighthouse was 'guided' by a fantastic guy who is a fisherman and life guard. He has his handmade boat which he paddles out to where the Squid and mussels are, he dives down with his machete and collects the fish returning to the boat, so clever, he is also a lifeguard as the tide and current here are so very strong, they are all fishermen and really know the sea, they rescue at least one person a day. What a fantastic life he has, I so admire him, he learnt to dive for fish as a boy going out with his father. He was telling me today he has three brothers, two of which are in Saudi Arabia making lots of money. They are a Muslim family. He received an invitation from them to join them and also make money but he declined, saying he is happy in his soul and has sufficient money to live and feed himself also looking after his parents.
We also have met several English people in our hotel so a group of us are around most of the time.
Anyway I must tell you about my highlight that you will not believe! Yesterday we met a guy at breakfast and we were chatting , he said a few of them were taking a taxi to Trivandrum that evening g as there was a rumour that Bob Geldorf was playing a free gig, would we like to join them. Well of course we did so off we went at 17.30 six of us all squeezed in the taxi. Arriving at the palace we strolled through the grounds where a book convention had been for the previous week. We found the natural auditorium and took the front row. It started to spit! The equipment that was on stage under the covers began to get wet and a sad air of disappointment hung around us. The loudspeaker crackled into life and a voice said there are two ways of dealing with the rain, we either all pray or we have a rain party! You can guess the rest......but just before the band came on stage we realised that Sting was seated forth row back with Trudi. The band came on then Bob came onstage. He played for two hours and Sting joined him for one number.
It was absolutely amazing I can't tell you and for free.
So here I am seated in the Internet cafe, its 19.30 and we will eat dinner soon, at least that was the plan but the sky has just opened and tipped a huge amount of water onto us accompanied by very loud bangs of thunder. It has been very very hot so I am really not surprised. It will not last long and then it will be dry again.
So tomorrow we travel to Varcala just up the coast a little where we have two free nights accommodation, we are hoping to do a backwater tour from there which also places me nearer to Cochin from where I fly home.
Now I will venture out to the restaurant to retrieve my beer!

Love you xx

No comments:

Post a Comment